Issue № 13(25)
DOI: 10.33098/2078-6670.2022.13.25.76-84 Andrukhiv O. Status of orphan children in Ukraine in war
Andrukhiv O. Status of orphan children in Ukraine in war
Purpose. The aim of our study is to study the historical experience of preventing homelessness and neglect of orphans, as well as the characteristics of legal norms that guarantee the protection of orphans in wartime. Method. The methodology includes a comprehensive analysis and generalization of theoretical and source material and further formulation of relevant conclusions and recommendations. The study used the principles of objectivity and systematicity, as well as general scientific, special legal and special historical methods of scientific knowledge: analysis, synthesis, comparative, functional-legal, system-historical. Results. The problem of orphans should be considered through the prism of the analysis of the historical experience of the emergence of such a phenomenon and the fight against it; causes of homelessness and neglect of orphans; the procedure for taking into care, adoption and upbringing of orphans; information policy of the state in the field of protection of orphans. Respect for the rights of the child is a fundamental task of the state and civil society. This problem is especially relevant in times of war, when the child is always the least protected. Statistics on the number of children orphaned by the war (since 2014), the number of children forcibly deported to Russia, the internal movement of orphans from areas where hostilities are taking place, indicate the urgency of the problem and the need to consolidate society to address this problems. Scientific novelty. The historical aspects of preventing child homelessness are analyzed, the causes of this phenomenon are determined; the changes that have taken place in the national legislation regarding the procedure of taking into care, adoption and upbringing of orphans are pointed out. Practical significance. The results of the study can be used in further historical and legal research, preparation of special courses.
Key words: orphans, homeless children, information policy of the state, national legislation, social protection.
1. Bodnarchuk, O. I. (2014). Efektyvnist normatyvno-pravovykh aktiv u sferi zakhystu prav ditei-syrit ta ditei, pozbavlenykh batkivskoho pikluvannia [Effectiveness of normative legal acts in the field of protection of the rights of orphans and children deprived of parental care]. Aktualni problemy derzhavy i prava, 73, pp. 316-321. (in Ukrainian).
2. The number of orphaned children has increased in Ukraine. Retrived from: https://www.slovoidilo.ua/2021/09/08/novyna/suspilstvo/ukrayini-zrosla-kilkist-osyrotilyx-ditej. (in Ukrainian).
3. Genocide of children of Ukraine: why Russia takes them out, why adopts, what are the chances to return them] Retrived from: https://life.liga.net/istoriyi/article/genotsid-detey-ukrainy-dlya-chego-rossiya-ih-vyvozit-pochemu-usynovlyaet-kakie-shansy-vernut. (in Ukrainian).
4. State support for orphans and children deprived of parental care] Retrived from: https://cutt.ly/wJitOjP. (in Ukrainian).
5. More than 400,000 Ukrainians were forcibly deported to Russia, including Denisov’s 84,000 children] Retrived from: https://zmina.info/news/denisova-do-rosiyi-nasylno-vyvezly-402-tysyach-ukrayincziv-zokrema-84-tysyachi-ditej/. (in Ukrainian).
6. Kuzmin, V. V. (2017). Teoretychnyi analiz problemy intehratsii u suspilstva ditei-syrit ta ditei, pozbavlenykh batkivskoho pikluvannia: sotsialno-psykholohichnyi aspekt [Theoretical analysis of the problem of integration into society of orphans and children deprived of parental care: socio-psychological aspect]. Aktualni problemy pedahohiky, psykholohii ta profesiinoi osvity, 1, pp. 3-8. (in Ukrainian).
7. Potopakhina, O. M. Sotsialnyi zakhyst ditei-syrit ta ditei, pozbavlenykh batkivskoho pikluvannia: poniattia ta vydy [Social protection of orphans and children deprived of parental care: concepts and types]. Retrived from: http://sn-jurid.crimea.edu/arhiv/2010/uch_23_2law/016_potopahina.pdf/. (in Ukrainian)
8. On amendments to the Rules of crossing the state border by citizens of Ukraine: Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine № 264 (2022, March 12). Retrived from: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/264-2022-%D0%BF#Text. (in Ukrainian)
9. On the protection of childhood: Law of Ukraine. Vidomosti Verkhovnoi Rady Ukrainy. 2001, 30, st.142. Retrived from: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2402-14#Text. (in Ukrainian)
10. Prokopenko, O. S. (2018). Sotsialny zakhyst dite-syrit ta ditei pozbavlenykh batkivskoho pikluvannia v Ukraini [Social protection of orphans and children deprived of parental care in Ukraine]. International Journal of Innovative Technologies in Social Science, 4(8), Vol, 2, pp. 9-15. (in Ukrainian)
11. Prokopenko, O. S. (2017). Derzhavna polityka shchodo sotsialnoho zakhystu ditei-syrit ta ditei, pozbavlenykh batkivskoho pikluvannia [State policy on social protection of orphans and children deprived of parental care]. Naukovi pratsi [Chornomorskoho derzhavnoho universytetu imeni Petra Mohyly kompleksu «Kyievo-Mohylianska akademiia». Seriia: Derzhavne upravlinnia. Series: Public Administration, vol. 305, Vyp. 293, pp. 29-33. (in Ukrainian)
12. The Russians illegally removed 181,000 Ukrainian children – the ombudsman. Retrived from: https://suspilne.media/234957-rosiani-nezakonno-vivezli-181-tisacu-ukrainskih-ditej-ombudsmen/. (in Ukrainian)
13. As of the morning of May 28 since the beginning of the Russian invasion in Ukraine, 242 children died and 440 were injured. Retrived from: https://ombudsman.gov.ua/uk/news_details/stanom-na-ranok-28-travnya-z-pochatku-vtorgnennya-rf-v-ukrayini-zaginulo-242-ditini-postrazhdalo-440. (in Ukrainian)
14. Adoption and temporary placement of children in martial law. Retrived from: https://helsinki.org.ua/articles/usynovlennia-ta-tymchasove-vlashtuvannia-ditey-v-umovakh-voiennoho-stanu/. (in Ukrainian)
15. Adoption and temporary placement of children in martial law. Retrived from: https://helsinki.org.ua/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/usynovlennya_PBD_A4.pdf. (in Ukrainian)
16. Chekhovska, I. V. (2013). Derzhavna simeina polityka v Ukraini: teoriia ta praktyka realizatsii [State family policy in Ukraine: theory and practice of implementation]. Kamianets-Podilskyi, TOV «Drukarnia «Ruta», 736 p. (in Ukrainian)
17. USAID Ukraine. Retrived from: https://www.usaid.gov/ukraine. (in English)